Jump to content
Invision Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adults and Working Parents

Industry-Specific Scholarships

Recommended Posts

Guest Adults and Working Parents

Financial Aid for Adults and Working Parents

Obtaining enough financial aid isn’t always easy, even for the traditional student who attends a 4-year university and lives on-campus. This may be even more true for non-traditional students returning to school as adults. These non-traditional students may also find that online program options better suit their lifestyle. Whether online or in campus-based programs, any properly accredited program can offer its students federal financial aid and accept external sources of aid, like scholarships.

Fortunately there are plenty of private scholarships available for adult students. They may not be as easily found as typical sources of federally funded financial aid, but they do exist. In fact, applications for some of these resources include requirement criteria that traditional students often don’t have, tipping the odds in favor of some students who may find themselves in difficult circumstances. Read on for some examples of scholarship and grant funding for non-traditional adult students.


Industry-Specific Scholarships


Society of Women Engineers Scholarships


Who's Eligible: Any women admitted to accredited graduate or undergraduate degree programs in numerous areas of engineering and technology. These re-entry scholarships are designed specifically for women who intend to enter the workforce after an absence; applicants must have been out of school or work for at least 2 years.
What It Covers: Multiple scholarships are awarded each academic year for degree programs in aeronautical, automotive, architectural, chemical, electrical, environmental, industrial, mechanical, manufacturing, petroleum and software engineering.
How to Apply: One application suffices for all students re-entering school at sophomore level or higher. The application is accepted from Dec. 1 through Feb. 15 prior to each academic year.


American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE)


Who's Eligible: Enrolled students in occupational safety, health and environment degree programs are eligible after 60 hours of coursework. Scholarships may be used to complete an undergraduate degree or graduate degree. Students must be full-time and maintain a 3.0 GPA. Membership in the ASSE is not required but is preferred.
What It Covers: Tuition and fees related to upper-level undergraduate or graduate-level courses in approved programs.
How to Apply: Submit complete transcripts, a letter of recommendation and the application form online. Application materials are due Dec. 1st of the prior academic year.


The Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association (AFCEA)


Who's Eligible: Members of local chapters of the AFCEA may apply for the Intelligence Scholarship, granted to students enrolled in degree programs related to U.S. intelligence or homeland security issues. Only second-year students are eligible at accredited universities.
What It Covers: Undergraduate students may receive $2,250, and graduate students $5,000 per academic year.
How to Apply: Locate your closest area AFCEA chapter to apply. Applicants must demonstrate a 3.0 GPA.


Associated General Contractors (ACG)


Who's Eligible: The AGC Education and Research Foundation offers undergraduate upperclassmen and graduate students scholarships for studies in construction management and civil engineering. Scholarships are offered nationally and at the local club level. Applicants must attend a school accredited by the American Board of Engineering Technology.
What It Covers: Scholarships of $3,750 are awarded per academic year for 2 consecutive years.
How to Apply: Applications must be submitted by midnight on Nov. 1 of the prior academic year. Finalists will be notified the following February and asked to interview with a local contractor. Winners are notified in March.


NEWH Icons of Industry Scholarship


Who's Eligible: The NEWH Hospitality Industry Network awards scholarships to students who have completed at least half of a degree program in hospitality, interior design or architecture. Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA and have participated in an industry internship. Financial needs are considered.
What It Covers: Amounts vary based on need and demonstrated merit. Funds are awarded for ‘as-needed' usage and are held by the school in trust.
How to Apply: Applications must be downloaded and include a student essay, internship essay, letters of recommendation, a resume and headshot. Application packets must be snail mailed by Sept. 16 to:
NEWH, Inc.
P.O. Box 322
Shawano, WI 54166


Electronic Document Scholarship Foundation (EDSF)


Who's Eligible: EDSF provides scholarship to future professionals in graphic communications and document management. This scholarship, funded by a conglomerate of participating corporations, is awarded to 40 students per year. Eligible students are enrolled in programs that focus on digital media, print media, graphic arts and document management.
What It Covers: Award amounts vary, but usually are between $1,000 and $5,000 per year at participating schools.
How to Apply: The online application period is from Jan. 15th to May 1st of the year prior to enrollment.


William L. Cullison Scholarship


Who's Eligible: Offered by a branch of the American Paper & Pulp Industry, this scholarship is available to students in their junior and senior year of a degree program in pulp and paper science. Applicants must demonstrate a 3.5 GPA, an industry internship and leadership skills.
What It Covers: Scholarships are granted in increments of $4,000 per year for 2 consecutive years.
How to Apply: Candidates must send a completed application form, official transcripts and letters of recommendation to the TAPPI awards department no later than May 1st. Awards are announced by July 1st.


Gretchen E. Van Roy Music Education Scholarship


Who's Eligible: The National Federation of Music Clubs offers this scholarship to aspiring music educators. College juniors majoring in music education are eligible. Applications must be proficient in voice, piano and teaching skills, as well as have participated in an internship.
What It Covers: $1,150 is available for senior academic year.
How to Apply: Letters of recommendation from music education faculty must accompany the application form, due on or before April 1st.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Create New...