Computer programming is one of the most in-demand skills in today’s workplace, coding education has become more accessible than ever. Whether on-campus or through online computer science degree courses — such as those offered through Coursera — learners can get started on a computer science education in more ways and at more price points than ever before.
While coding can open up many new job opportunities, there’s a difference between being able to code and being able to solve the complex computer science challenges at the heart of some of today’s most exciting careers. That’s why the ability to get a Master of Computer Science 100% online from Arizona State University, a leading innovator, is a true game-changer.
Computer science salaries are about $15,000 more per year than programmers who don’t hold an advanced degree, according to a report by Georgetown University. This advanced skillset is recognized by the higher compensation computer science degree holders earn; many computer science salaries range around the six-figure sum. Here are a few examples of some of computer science’s most exciting career paths:
- Data scientists create sophisticated algorithms capable of analyzing patterns in large datasets. These skills are essential for producing valuable insights across an ever-wider range of fields. Average annual salary: $118,045
- Data engineers build infrastructure that generates usable datasets at the “big data” scale needed by today’s biggest tech companies. They have specialized expertise in evaluating and parsing sources, data mining from both numeric and semantic inputs, and designing the right type of pipelines and warehouses for a given task. Average annual salary: $119,306
- Cyber security analysts defend organizations against threats posed by cyberattackers. This requires advanced research skills to keep up to date with the latest techniques for software and network security, including secure design, threat analysis and modeling, and cryptography. Average annual salary: $98,713
- Artificial intelligence specialists develop software that can learn to evaluate information and make appropriate decisions to accomplish a task. This exciting frontier in computer science requires specialized expertise in statistical pattern recognition, machine learning, heuristic programming, and knowledge representation. Average annual salary: $106.408
- Blockchain developers are on the leading edge of one of the most exciting topics in computer science, leveraging secure and distributed blockchain architecture for a growing range of business applications. They are well-versed in the theoretical underpinnings of the technology as well as practical realities of mining, consensus protocols, and decentralized governance. Average annual salary: $129,956
Just as entry-level programming skills have become increasingly accessible, the online learning revolution has made an advanced computer science degree more affordable and convenient than ever. The Online Master of Computer Science from Arizona State University gives you the opportunity to do high-level coursework in specialized topics like data mining, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and even blockchain. And, with ASU ranked as the #1 most innovative school in America for four years in a row by U.S. News & World Report, this online MCS program is just as groundbreaking as the career paths it can open up for you.